.

Key Arrests Cut Danbury Burglaries 26 Percent

Danbury Police have been charging people with burglaries, and the number of homes being burgled has declined by 26 percent for June and July 2012 compared to 2011.

When the City Council asked Police Chief Alan Baker on Tuesday why the number of burglaries declined in July, Baker said, "We made a number of significant arrests."

That was it. Arrests, a large handful and more on the way.

"We know of two individuals the detectives have talked to, who are prime suspects. They know we're onto them. We've interviewed them. As a result of that, they're laying low," said Police Detective and Spokesman Thomas Michael. He said that alone probably stopped some burglaries in Danbury.

Danbury had 30 burglaries last year in July but only 22 this year. For June and July, the city saw 46 burglaries this year, and 62 last year. That's 16 fewer burglaries this year, a decline of nearly 26 percent. For the year, Danbury saw a decline of nearly 15 percent. The city had 229 last year through July, and only 195 this year through July.

The reason for the decline, Michael said, is the city made 16 burglary arrests in the last four months alone.

Two of those arrested may be juveniles, because clerks at Danbury Superior Court said no information could be released about those two people.

Meanwhile, a man named Enrique Bencosme was charged on June 26 for a May 30 burglary, and he is facing burglary or conspiracy charges relating to burglary in both Danbury and Brookfield. "He was arrested and he is the suspect in many burglaries in Danbury," Michael said.

Milton Soliz, 31, of Roger Avenue, Danbury, was charged on May 28 with second-degree burglary, risk of injury, disorderly conduct, and other charges. Danbury Superior Court issued a re-arrest warrant for him when he failed to answer these charges in court on June 12. He is a wanted man.

Jeremiah Cruz of Peace Street, Danbury, was charged on May 14 with third-degree burglary.

On June 26, the Danbury Police charged Eddie Berrios, 30, Eden Drive, Danbury, with third-degree larceny and first-degree burglary. 

More recent arrests, which didn't impact the June or July numbers include Alix Perez, 35, of State Street, Danbury, who was charged on July 22, with third-degree burglary, sixth degree larceny, first-degree failure to appear and first-degree criminal mischief.

Jeffrey Lockhart, 43, of South King Street, was charged on Aug. 4, with second-degree burglary and sixth-degree larceny.

Marcos Aguilar, 17, of Top Stone Drive, Danbury, was charged on Aug. 10 with third-degree burglary, third-degree burglary, two counts of conspiracy to commit burglary and other charges.

Matthew Williams, was charged on Aug. 22 with third-degree burglary, fourth-degree larceny and other charges.

"In a typical year, July and August are higher than average for burglaries. Most burglaries happen between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.," Michael said. "We need people who see something to say something. The public is the eyes and ears of the police out there. We need their help. We want to be called."

no kidding September 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM
If you want to be called, your dispatchers shouldn't argue with people reporting a crime. And the cop that responds should get out of his car, and investigate, not tell people "it's not like on t.v." and drive away.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something