The Danbury Fire Department took a call from a woman at 6 a.m. Friday who had just talked to her huband at home, and she said he was confused and ill.
By the time firefighters reached the house, the man had fallen and was injured in the fall. Carbon monoxide in the house reached 500 parts per billion, which is more than 16 times the acceptable level of 30 parts per billion.
"These people had been complaining about headaches. They were sick for several days," said Danbury Fire Chief Geoff Herald. "This man is at the hospital. He's very sick."
Herald said carbon monoxide poisoning has killed people in Connecticut since the Oct. 29 storm, and people have to be very careful. Danbury as recorded seven or eight cases. Install smoke detectors with CO alarms, and keep the batteries fresh.
Herald said this Danbury family was using a generator they kept under a deck, and the carbon monoxide was seeping into the house through the crack in the door where the electricity cable connected the generator to the house.
Herald also offered good advice for avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning.
"DO NOT USE generators, charcoal or gas grills, gas lanterns or camping stoves indoors or in an enclosed area, like a garage or basement. These items should be used outdoors only. DO NOT use a generator in a garage even if the garage doors and windows are open. Ventilation is not sufficient and could result in carbon monoxide build-up inside of your home.
It is also important that you are familiar with the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning which include: headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness and confusion. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, IMMEDIATELY leave your home and dial 9-1-1 from OUTSIDE of your home.
For further information or a home safety inspection please call the Danbury Fire Department Community risk reduction team AT 203-796-1541 or go online to the state department of health. "