A customer brought clothes to dry Sunday night to the Sit 'N' Spin Laundromat at 25 Newtown Road, said owner Brenda Riolo, and a couple of minutes later, that dryer burst into flames.
The fire damaged the laundromat, and closed Newtown Road from about 6:15 to after 8 p.m. Sunday evening.
"It's interesting to think what was in those clothes," said Riolo, who has owned the laundromat with her husband Joe Riolo for four years.
The laundromat was heavily damaged Sunday by the fire. The dryers appeared to be completely destroyed. The washers looked OK, but the ceiling is ruined, Joe Riolo said, shaking his head.
"The customer put the clothes in the dryer and they caught fire," Joe Riolo said. "I have no idea what to do at this point. I'm calling the insurance company.
"The fire appears to have started in the dryers and it was starting to run across the ceiling," said Assistant Fire Chief Charly Slagle. He said fire fighters had to pull down the drop ceiling to make sure the fire wasn't in the roof rafters moving next door to Padaminas, the deli/bakery. Engines 22, 23, 24, 26, and Squad One responded, along with Truck 1 and volunteer companies 10, 11 and 7.
Deputy Fire Marshal James Russell agreed it seemed the fire started in a dryer and the cause was accidental. When he checked the dryer where the fire started, the clothes inside had been reduced to ash.
Brenda Riolo said the customer who put the clothes in the dryer left after the fire started. Slagle said no one reported they were hurt in the fire. Fire Marshall Russell was going to interview the people from the fire still at the scene Sunday night.